Friday 13 June 2014

Changes are coming - FIDE Laws of Chess

Over the last few months one of the most common phrases I've been using as an arbiter is 'From the 1st of July ...". What I am referring to is the updated FIDE Laws of Chess, which come into effect for competition starting on or after 1 July 2014. I'm pretty sure I've given a summary of these before, but the most important points to check are

  • The rule on how to promote have been added (previously it was just a definition of promotion)
  • Rules on electronic devices have been altered
  • Zero default has been removed
  • Two illegal moves lose (and only 1 at rapid and blitz)
  • Arbiters must flag and call illegal moves at rapid and blitz
Of course there are other changes as well, so if you an arbiter or player, then I suggest you visit rules.fide.com and refresh your knowledge before you start your next event.

No comments: