Thursday 19 December 2013

Dead mouse chess set

I've been trying to avoid this story all week, as it kind of creeps me out. However, the delivery of a dead mouse by my cat in the early hours of the morning must seems to be some sort of sign from the universe.
Rachael Garcia, a Florida based Taxidermist, has made a chess set out of dead mice. It is a complete set, using the stuffed corpses of 32 rodents, and the major pieces are even adorned with crowns and other identifying paraphernalia. The mouse came from a breeding facility that normally provides frozen mice as reptile feed, but I'm not sure that the fact that (a) they were going to be eaten by snakes and (b) they were already dead, makes it any better.
Of course this intention was that it functions as an art piece, and has already been sold for $450. In the above interview Garcia recognises that such a work polarises opinions, so as an artist I guess she has succeeded in producing a successful work. Just don't buy me one for Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adorable! I want it for Xmas.