Monday 11 March 2013

Coming undone at blindfold

To pass the time when travelling, my son and I often pass the time playing blindfold chess. It doesn't always work, as we do lose track of the position, or simply run out of time. However the following game was played today, while waiting for the bus to take us to the Canberra Centenary celebrations.
1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Qh5 Nd6 5.Qxe5+ Qe7 6.Qxe7+ Bxe7 7.Bb3 O-O 8.Nf3 Re8 9.O-O Nc6 10.d3 Bf6? 11.Nd5 Bd8 12.Bf4 b6 13.Rfe1 Rxe1 14.Rxe1 Bb7?? 15.Bxd6 cxd6 16.Re8#
(and yes, I was black).

3 comments:

Chris Skulte said...

Does it take long to start getting the hang of blindfold? (Do you find it has improved your otb being able to play blindfold?)

Anonymous said...

No doubt you bubble with pride every time your son beats you...
AO

Shaun Press said...

@Chris On the one hand playing legal moves seemed easier than I thought (although I occasionally do get them wrong), playing good moves is still quite hard. I'm not sure it has helped me improve my calculation at OTB either. The kind of exercise that might help in this regard is looking at a position, imagining the next 2 or more moves, and then trying to write down all the checks and captures in the new position. I've seen this as a training idea somewhere on the net, although I cannot remember where.