Sunday 2 September 2012

The two greatest words in the English language

"De-fault".
The PNG team scored a 4-0 win in the 5th round of the 2012 Olympiad, over a 2 player Burundi team. They were only playing boards 2&3 which meant that the team was up 2-0 as soon as the clocks were started. Rupert Jones and Helmut Marko then managed to win the remaining games to chalk up the maximum score.These were the first match points of the tournament for PNG, and set the team up the almost traditional PNG v San Marino pairing in Rd 6 (4th time since 2002 IIRC).
Palau also had cause for celebration, scoring their first ever win in an Olympiad match. The squeaked past US Virgin Island 2.5-1.5, which made themselves very happy. Fiji were kicking themselves after their narrow loss to Aruba, as win would have put them on a very impressive 5 points. New Zealand find the going tough as they went down 3-1 to the team representing IBCA (sight impaired team), while Australia found Zambia a tricky opponent, before finally scoring a 2.5-1.5 win.
The Australian women's team had a horror pairing, getting blanked by the 10th seeded Romanian team. The New Zealand women also had a loss, 2.5-1.5 to Sri Lanka.
Today is a rest day for the players, with tomorrows round seeing the potential olympiad deciding pairing of  Russia v Armenia. For me there has been little rest, as the morning was spent in the Swiss Pairings commission meeting, while this afternoon, Rules and Tournament Regulations will have another session (the 2nd of 3 scheduled meetings).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Shaun,
can you take a photo of the blind team for the Royal New Zealand Blind foundation.

kind regards
Justin

Shaun Press said...

Will try too, but probably not today, as I am playing(!). Possibly tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Great article! We will be linking to this particularly great
article on our website. Keep up the great writing.
my webpage :: premier league transfer news sky sports

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find
this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand.
It seems too complicated and extremely broad for
me. I am looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!
My homepage :: arsenal transfer rumours 2013

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make
this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
Plz reply as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thank you
Feel free to surf my homepage ; transfer rumours tottenham 2011