Thursday 27 September 2012

2012 Ryde-Eastwood Open

For quite a long time I tended to avoid tournaments in Sydney. It had nothing to do with the quality of the event (or the players), but simply because I preferred support events outside the NSW capital (given the limited amount of time). However this equation has changed recently, in part due to a drop in the number of NSW country events within reasonable distance of Canberra, and partly because my son is now an active player, which gives me an excuse to get to more tournaments.
So for the first time I will be heading up to the Ryde-Eastwood Weekender. It runs over the long weekend of the 29th September to the 1st October, and will be a 7 round tournament. Due to a clash(?) with the Rugby League Grand Final it has an unusual format of 3 rounds on the first day, followed by 2 rounds, and 2 rounds. The time limit is G60m+10s and it is being played in one big section.
My role in the tournament is as an arbiter, but looking at the entry list, there are plenty of Canberran's taking part. At one point the field had around 50% of players from the ACT, but a few extra NSW players seemed to have entered since then.
Full details of the tournament are at http://www.nswca.org.au/ and I hope to be able to provide updates of the event from the venue.

No comments: