Monday 6 August 2012

Chess -> Olympics

Around every Olympics there is a debate about what sports 'belong' and which do not. When I was younger I was passionate about Chess being the equal to some sports that were in, but these days not so much. One of the reasons is that the Olympics are crowded enough as it is, and could probably do with a few sports getting cut (Trampolining, some of the odder cycling events, tug of war). Around the last Olympics I suggested that alongside the Summer and Winter Olympics, they have a Mind Sports and an xTreme Olympics in the intervening years, but no one has taken up (or even stolen as their own) this idea.
But I'm not the only one thinking about this idea. While Chess gets short shrift in the article, I do like his suggestions for other sports.

No comments: