Sunday 14 August 2011

Backing Svidler

Peter Svidler has long been one of my favourite players. A cricket loving, Gruenfeld aficionado, what is there not to like. I even went through a period of picking him as the likely winner of various Super GM tournaments, ahead of Anand, Kramnik, Carlsen etc Unfortunately he often came up short in those events, and so I moved my money to safer bets.
However one event he has done well in the Russian Championship. He has won it five times, and is currently looking good for a sixth. In the current Russian Super Final he leads by a point with 2 rounds to play, While he has yet to play second placed Alexander Morozevich, I'm pretty confident he will win this one.

Timofeev,Arty (2665) - Svidler,P (2739) [C70]
64th ch-RUS Moscow RUS (5), 13.08.2011


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Svidler won with 5/7, beating Nepomniachtchi and losing to Morozevich.

Anonymous said...

I don't like cricket at all, but if you ever get an opportunity to get him down under, then DO IT! Last summer he visited Copenhagen Open/Politiken Cup and at great simul at Copenhagen Central Station he beat me - of course nothing special - in a good game. The strange thing was that he during the game showed me (and the spectators) amazing variations and why he wouldn't play them. And after the game he told me how "easy" I could have kept my advantage...

He played some blitzmatches against IGM Peter Heine Nielsen in order to celebrete Bent Larsens 75 years. In half of the games they were forced to play 1.b3. Between the games he gave us a great show which is maybe still possible to watch at youtube.

Cheers

Henrik Mortensen