Saturday 18 August 2007

Tired of being *ucked around

If you, like me, hate being made to wait for service, then there are two places in Canberra to avoid. The first is the Interchange Newsagency at the City bus interchange. Now you would think that a newsagency next to where people catch buses would pride itself on quick service, lest they cause people to miss the bus they have been waiting for. Not in this case. I suspect there is an internal pool being run on who can inconvenience the most number of commuters with slow service. Of course it could just be me that it happens to, and no one else gets the "sorry I've hit the wrong button on the cash register serving the previous customer, and I have to get the manager to ring the Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia to correct the error" kind of excuse that is all to common when I go there.
The other place to feel my wrath is Just Cuts at the Gungahlin Town Centre. Now Just Cuts prides itself on the fact that "there is no need for an appointment". What that means in practice is that you go in and ask for a haircut at say 12:45pm and they say "we're booked up to 3:00 pm", and get you to make an appointment for 3:00pm. When you go back at 3pm they say "it will be another 10 minutes" which translates into 25 minutes in real peoples time. And when you reply to the question " Doing anything special today?" with "Yes, waiting 3 hours for a haircut", suddenly it's the silent treatment for you.

(btw *=M in my alphabet, and I assume it means the same in yours)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder where the Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia goes for his haircuts?

Anonymous said...

Gareth went to Just cuts in Belco for a haircut when his normal hair dresser was having a baby. He was so traumatised by the experience (and the skin head look he got), he refused to have another haircut, until Cathy was back working again...... :)

Anonymous said...

cmon shaun, what a loser. why are you even going to a place like just cuts?

DeNovoMeme said...

Last month I went to Just Cuts because my regular good barber was closed (Sunday). So:

had to book;
had to come back in an hour;
had to wait some more;
had to forego my usual dose of FMH and HotRod and replace it with No Idea and BirthdayCakes;
had a hair cut that was pretty ordinary;
had to pay $10 more than my barbers rate.

Never again.

TrueFiendish said...

My experience of Just Cuts is that they look at you as if you're an alien when you mention the word "appointment".

Corollary: If you are taking your son for a haircut, don't let him instruct the hairdresser on the cut, because he'll emerge having had three hairs slightly shortened and the rest will be the same.

Anonymous said...

Just Cuts in Belconnen is just as bad, I went there the other day and had to wait for 15 minutes, because my cutter was going to the toilet. She came back and obviously it wasn't just a toilet break, she smelt like cigarettes and alcohol. The job she did was OK, but I'll never go there again.